This past Tuesday, I celebrated my 24th birthday. I feel like this was a game changer for me, mostly because I am in such a different place in my life than I had thought I would be. I am so excited for the changes that are to come in this next year and especially in the fact that I will become a working mom(more on that later!). My husband made sure he made this birthday a special one! He took me out to a nice adults only dinner and even baked me a cake. For a guy that doesn’t cook, it was amazing…One of the best chocolate cakes I’ve ever had. So, I thought I would share the recipe with you, please comment if you liked the recipe and what changes you made, if any.
1. Make the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottoms of two 9-inch round cake pans and fit with two circles of parchment paper. Butter the paper and pan sides and dust with flour. Set aside.
2. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and maintain. Combine the flour, 2 cups granulated sugar, 3/4 cup cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Beat in the oil, milk, eggs, vanilla, and anisette liqueur using a mixer set on medium speed for 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and add 1 cup of the boiling water.
3. Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean — about 35 minutes. Cool the cakes in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Unmold the cakes and return to the wire rack until completely cool.
4. Make the frosting: Beat the heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa until combined.
5. Assemble the cake: Place one layer on a cake plate. Spread a third of the frosting over the layer. Sprinkle with half of the chocolate chips. Top with the remaining layer and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Enjoy! And to all the hubbies out there, make sure you make your special lady feel like a princess on her birthday with this yummy cake!by